Chocolate-Peppermint Cake Pops
1 box of cake mix (any flavor..I used Red Velvet for valentines day)
2 large eggs
1/3 C. vegetable oil
2 bags of super white candy coating disks (I got them at Michaels)
4 drops of peppermint oil (optional)
6 oz red candy coating disks
Assorted topping decorations and colored sugars
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions (or use the first 3 ingredients above) using any of the recommended pan sizes. When cake is done, crumble while warm into a large bowl, and stir in the frosting one spoonful at a time until well blended and can form into balls. After making them into little balls, place them in the refrigerator for 2 hours or freezer for 20 minutes.
- Melt chocolate coating in a glass bowl in the microwave, or in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Use a melon baller or small scoop to form balls of the chocolate cake mixture. Dip the balls in chocolate using a toothpick or fork to hold them. Place on waxed paper to set. If you are putting sprinkles on them, do it right after you dip them in the chocolate so they will stick before they harden. If you want to drizzle another color on top using a fork, let the first coating dry first.
- LINE baking sheet with foil. .
- MICROWAVE morsels in medium, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70 percent) power for 1 minute; stir.
- PLACE peppermint candies in heavy-duty plastic bag. Crush candies using rolling pin or other meat tenderizer. Pour half of crushed candy into the white chocolate. Shake to release all small candy pieces; reserve larger candy pieces. Stir morsel-peppermint mixture.
- SPREAD mixture to desired thickness on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with reserved candy pieces; press in lightly. Put in the refrigerator and let stand for about 1 hour or until firm. Break into pieces. Store in airtight container at room temperature.